The Discovery of the Lost Shrine of Tegucigalpa
Return of the Ark
540 Alcatraz Ave Apt 111
Oakland CA 94609
73-151 El Paseo
Palm Desert, California 92260
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
16th Street Gallery
1299 East 4500 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
80 E. Main St.
P.O. Box 750009
Torrey, UT 48775
(435) 425-3909 or (435) 425-3200
Utah Artist Hands
61 West 100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
About Me - I grew up in Utah and like Utah and the West very much, especially for the skiing, hiking, and general natural beauty. I graduated in art from the University of Utah in 1990 and then moved to New York City, where I illustrated for magazines, book covers, and children's books. While in New York I also took some side trips into publishing a volunteer neighborhood newspaper and teaching English as a Second Language. In 2000 I returned to Salt Lake and have been doing fine art since. I paint full time.
What I paint - I usually like to have some kind of narrative in my paintings. I get ideas and inspiration from reading, from old master and contemporary paintings, from nature, and from delving into my own imagination. I like to include images that have symbolic meaning that viewers can interpret in some personal way.
How I paint - I particularly like traditional painting techniques of Europe that were used and developed before the advent of impressionism, and modern art. I study painters like Bruegel, Raphael, and pen and ink artists like Gustave Dore. I also study many contemporary artists who work in these older techniques. I keep sketchbooks in which I draw imagined ideas or whatever or whoever's in front of me. Some of these ideas evolve into paintings.
Thanks for taking the time to look at my work! -Chris
- 2007 Myth & Magic; Recent works by Chris Miles, Loge Gallery, Pioneer Theater, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2006 After Hours; New Paintings by Chris Miles, Sagebrush Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2005 Utah Arts Festival, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2005 Recent works by Chris Miles and Osral Allred, Forum Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2004 Utah Arts Festival, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2004 New Works by Chris Miles, Dale Minson, Tom Jackson, Lamar Walbeck, Local Colors Artworks, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2004 Open Studio and Sale, Rockwood Art Studios, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2003 Open Studio and Sale, Rockwood Art Studios, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2002 Fine Art in the Garden, Group Show, Salt Lake City.
- 2002 Unfinished Stories, Local Colors Artworks, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2002 Real and Imagined, Paintings by Chris Miles, Oasis Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2002 Painted from Life, Group Show: Chris, Miles, Nate Ronniger, Steve Larson, Jason Jones, Glenndinning Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2002 The Group of Nine, Rocky Mountain Grill, Salt Lake City, Utah.
2001 Chris Miles: Works in Oil, Park Cafe, Salt Lake City, Utah.
2001 Utah Arts Council Traveling Show, small towns.
2001 Art & Soup, Salt Lake City, UT. Juried group show and fundraiser for Community Nursing Services.
2001 World of the Wild Art Show, Salt Lake City, UT. Juried by Jim Jacobs, Brad Slade, and Richard Murray
1998 RSVP Dreams exhibit. Juried show, Society of Illustrators, New York, NY.
1992 Society of Illustrators 34th annual Exhibit of American Illustration
- 2007 Purchase Award: Days of '47 and Deseret News Landscape Art Show Color of the Land
- 2007 Springville Museum of Art 83rd Annual Spring Salon, Award of Merit
- 2006 President's Art Show, Celebrity Award; Salt Lake Community College
- 2004 World of the Wild Art Show, Hogle Zoo, Juror's Award.
- 2004 Post Picasso.Com - Embodiment; Myths in Animal Form, Honorable Mention.
- 2004 Springville Museum of Art 80th Annual Springville Salon, Award of Merit.
- 2004 Springville Museum of Art Religious and Spiritual Show, Award of Merit.
- 2002 World of the Wild Art Show, Hogle Zoo, Best of Show.
- 2002 Bountiful/Davis Art Center statewide competition, Honorable Mention.
- 2001 Deseret News landscape art show Color of the Land, merit award.
- 2001 World of the Wild Art Show, Hogle Zoo, Utrecht Award.
- 1990 Society of Illustrators annual scholarship competition. Members Award.
- 1989 Annual student exhibition, University of Utah. Best in Illustration.
- Sept. '86 - June '90 University of Utah, Bachelor of Fine Arts. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Sept. '85 - June '86 University of Urbino, ISEP foreign exchange program, Urbino, Italy.
- July '85 - Sept '85 School of Italian Language for Foreigners, Sienna, Italy.
- Sept. '83 - June '85 Utah State University, Logan, UT. Undergraduate studies
Artists Home Page
The New Guy